Le Mans–Sablé sur Sarthe project: 37 km of train tracks renewed in 3 months
Ensuring the long-term future of the infrastructure
The railway line between Le Mans and Angers is situated in the very heart of the Pays de la Loire region. Its traffic includes not only high-speed Atlantic TGV trains between Paris-Montparnasse and Nantes, Croisic and Sables-d'Olonne, but also TER regional trains (Pays de la Loire) between Le Mans and Angers. As part of its railway line modernisation programme, SNCF Réseau decided to renew 37 km of train tracks, railway sleepers and ballast on the Le Mans/Sablé-sur-Sarthe section of the line. The aim of this renewal programme is to ensure a high level of performance in terms of railway infrastructure, train regularity, and passenger comfort and safety.
The « Rapid Works » or Factory-Train
To carry out these works, SNCF Réseau uses an industrial machine called “Rapid Works”. This highly mechanised and very effective machine operates directly on the train tracks and is able to renew up to 1,000 metres of track per day. As a result, the renewal works in question can be completed in less than 3 months.
- 21 km of new train tracks on the Le Mans to Angers line (Track 1)
- 16 km of new train tracks on the Angers to Le Mans line (Track 2)
- €46 million invested by SNCF Réseau
- 500 workers involved in this renewal programme
- 950 metres of train tracks replaced every night
Reducing noise pollution
To limit the impact of this project on passenger traffic as much as possible, the renewal works are only conducted during the night – between 10 pm and 6 am (Monday evening to Saturday morning). During these times, railway traffic is interrupted.
To reduce noise pollution for the neighbouring residents, this mobile work site only moves during the day.
- SNCF Réseau - project leadership, project management, worksite surveillance, logistics and financing
- MECCOLI - company carrying out the renewal works, using the “Rapid Works” factory-train.